Make this cut and fold birthday card using my Diamond Cut and Fold pattern and graphics from PC Crafter's
Celebrations creatable by Janie Dawson. Visit PC Crafter at
For best results read all the way through the instructions before starting.
You will need:
- Diamond Cut and Fold Pattern
- Birthday Celebrations clip art from PC Crafter
- 5" x 7" print to edge white card blank
- Approximately 4" x 4" duo paper - bright blue on one side and light blue on the other.
- Approximately 4 1/4" x 6" dark blue paper
- 1 sheet white cardstock or heavyweight paper
- Gold number stickers
- Circle cutter (such as the Coluzzle small nested circle template)
- Scoring Tool (a blunt-ended needle works well for this)
- Clear plastic ruler
- Paper cutter
- Craft knife. (I use a Lacé knife. An X-acto knife also works well.
- Cutting mat
- Adhesive foam squares or pop-dots
- Low-tack tape or plastic-tack
- Tweezers (optional - used for arranging small cut out items)
- Cut a 4 1/4" Circle from the dark blue paper
- Cut a 1 3/4" x 3 3/4" rectangle from the dark blue paper
Step 2- Printing
Using the graphics from the Birthday Celebrations creatable:
- Print the confetti background onto the 5" x 7" card blank
- Print the following graphics onto the cardstock, sized as indicated:
- Three copies of the balloons, 2" high x 1 1/8" wide
- Three copies of the package, 1 1/4" high 1 1/2" wide
- One copy of Happy Birthday, 1 1/4" high x 3 1/4" wide
- One copy of the bows sized so that they are the same size as the bow on top of the package.
Using low-tack tape or plastic-tack attach the 3 3/4" Diamond Cut and Fold Pattern
to the light blue side of the duo paper.
You will be cutting a circle around the finished design, so make sure you center the pattern on the paper.
Place the paper with the pattern attached to it on a cutting mat. Using your craft knife,
carefully cut along each of the lines making sure that you cut through both the pattern and
the paper underneath.
Remove the pattern.
Using a ruler and a scoring tool, score along the ends of each half-diamond. This will make a nice crisp
fold for the next step.
Fold each half-diamond forward along the score lines, tucking the edge of each diamond under the solid
center of the next diamond as shown.
After you have finished folding and tucking, use a circle-cutter to cut around the design as shown.
Center and glue the design to the dark blue circle you cut out in Step 1
Cut a 1 1/4" x 3 1/4" rectangle around "Happy Birthday"
Mount it in the center of the dark blue rectangle you cut out in Step 1.
Cut out two of the ribbons and put one at both upper corners of the "Happy Birthday" label
Align and attach the circle with the cutwork completed in step 7 and the "Happy Birthday" label completed
in step 8 to the front of the card
Step 10 - 3D Balloons
Cut out one set of balloons in it's entirity, including the strings. This will be your bottom layer
- For the middle layer, cut out the bow and the three balloons.
- For the top layer, cut around only the yellow ballon and the top part of the bow.
- Using the foam squares or pop-dots, put the layers together as illustrated.
Step 11 - 3D Package
In the same way, cut and layer the package as illustrated.
To complete the card, attach the balloons the the upper left side, the package to the
lower right side and the gold numbers to the center of the cut and fold circle.